Sunday 6 January 2013

Venturing a Little into Good 'ole England

Well hello again! I'm terribly sorry my last blog post was so short and vague. I wrote it totally jetlagged and that might have something to do with its length.

BUT ANYWAYS.

I'm actually headed to church here in a few minutes and had a couple of minutes to share a few pictures with you guys, so I thought why not!

Here be my first flight...

 As you can see from my last post, I finally made it to the manor. When we got there, we had a brief orientation from the principal, Dr. Kingsley, who is so stinkin' sweet. Then we went a bit exploring in the manor and outside. We thought this thing below looked like a mockingjay symbol.



 This place is so beautiful! I live here, I live here, I live here. Pinch me pinch me pinch me.



 The next day, we had what's called convocation. At this, (this was so cool) a guy named Billy came out playing the bag pipes! They used this for the procession of faculty. Betcha you haven't had bag pipes at an American school assembly. Didn't think so.

After this, we were able to switch our classes. My schedule is officially Honors British Studies, World War II, and Media Writing. Pretty excited!

And after this came my favorite part of the day. We went to Grantham! AH. It was so awesome. I was surprised at how big it was. I expected a little ghost town with cobblestone streets but this place was definitely an actual town. There were shopping centers (centres, are how they're spelled here, I think?) and plenty of cute restaurants.

We got some necessities at an AMAZING place called "Pound Land" (think Dollar Store). It's really cool to be in a store and the people talking beside you have British accents. THE KIDS. OH MY GOSH THE CHILDREN. They're beside you and are like "Mum, can I have a bit of candy?" Must adopt them. I sometimes have kidnapping thoughts. Okay, that was a joke. Maybe. And by the way here, they never call them "Mom" here! It's always "Mum."

After this, Susan and I had some chai lattes from Costa. Costa is apparently like the British Starbucks. They definitely have Starbucks here, but they REALLY love Costa. And it's adorable. The lady at the register helped me to figure out how many pounds and pence I owed here. I was so confused.

Susan was such a spiritual encouragement today! Thanks girl. She da bawmb.



Bought a towel today. Na na na na na na na na! Sheets of egyptian cotton!


Please tell me you understood that.

 Here's the view from my room! I'm in the carriage house!


Well, I definitely have more, (we had a "high table dinner" last night at the manor, then headed to a little pub) but I need to get to church! We're going to a place called New Life this morning, which I've heard good things about. Get ready for more!

Love always,
Shelley

1 comment:

  1. I am loving following your journey on here!!

    Your fellow Kentucky blogger,

    Keith

    ReplyDelete